Construct moving contraptions out of the newest educational robotics materials!
- Students will learn about motorized construction techniques and build a foundation for our advanced course.
- They will learn about how robots share similar features to people:
- Computers = Brains
- Motors = Muscles
- Sensors = Senses
- Batteries = Hearts
- They will build with step-by-step instructions as well as creative design challenges.
Unleash the creative powers of the LEGO® MINDSTORMS EV3 by building and programming real, functioning robots! Students will participate in group and individual challenges to build emerging critical and creative thinking skills.
- Students will work in teams to build and complete a different creative challenge each class.
- They will create robots that dodge obstacles and react to their environment using ultrasonic, touch and light sensors.
- They will learn to program and troubleshoot complex robotic behaviors.
- The session ends with an awesome battle-bot tournament!
Video Game Design
Video games are not only fun to play, but fun to create!
- Students will learn about the digital game design process and the many different disciplines required to make games.
- They will use a 2D game development engine called Stencyl to design, animate, program and test their own Flash game that they can play and share on the computer.
- They will learn game design principles to make their game engaging, unique, and most of all – fun!
Stop Motion Animation
Bring your story to life by making stop motion animated movies! Working in teams, students build sets and characters using materials such as LEGO® bricks, white boards, and origami, then write, direct, and edit a unique story to share with the world!
- Students will begin by learning about cameras and special software required for stop-motion animation.
- They will learn the visual principles of animation as well as storytelling fundamentals.
- They will complete multiple animation exercises and a final film project using everything they’ve learned
Bugs & Microscopes
Bugs are everywhere! Did you know that 90% of animals on earth are insects? Get to know the critters in your backyard with Bugs & Microscopes!
- Students will begin each class with a biology lesson and discussion, then complete a creative bug-themed project.
- They will learn to appreciate our tiny friends by building bug motels and ant farms.
- They will explore the local wilderness to catalog bugs with hand-made microscopes and wildlife journals.
Tabletop Game Design
Ever dreamed of playing a tabletop game from your imagination? Students will play and study a variety of games, including puzzles, card games, and board games, then work in teams to design their own custom experiences!
Papercraft & Origami
Join Beam Experiences for an adventure in papercraft! We fold together classical origami techniques and modern mathematical concepts to explore all the amazing and beautiful properties of paper.
- Students will learn to create and invent traditional origami sculptures.
- They will learn about how folding is important to science and the natural world.
- They will bring home a variety of original projects, such as paper airplanes, pop-up books, and treasure maps.